Fenno-Ugric cooperation is a project aiming to find solutions to small Fenno-Ugric Wikipedia's problems in a joint effort.
There are Fenno-Ugric languages in which Wikipedia will most likely remain if not the only encyclopedia, then at least the most important and most voluminous. It can also be open, up-to-date and independent. Small Wikipedias have many common problems that could be solved more easily together. In that enterprise, three big Fenno-Ugric Wikipedias − Hungarian, Finnish, and Estonian − could provide some useful assistance.
Estonia has a long tradition of Fenno-Ugric cooperation, there are many people here who know FU peoples and languages quite well. At the same time, we have a logistically beneficial central position, and it is somewhat cheaper to arrange events here than in the several other EU countries. Estonians usually speak English and Russian, and we could also get some support from University of Tartu and Fenno-Ugria Foundation.
Estonian Wikipedia has also some inner resources: we have several Wikipedians who are actively participating in fennougristics and Fenno-Ugrian cooperation.
|I.||Finno-Ugric wikiseminar 2014||22—24 AUGUST 2014||Estonia||Tartu and Vaskna|
|II.||Finno-Ugric wikiseminar 2015||1—4 AUGUST 2015||Estonia||Meremäe|
|III.||Finno-Ugric wikiseminar 2016||6—9 MAY 2016||Russia||Intourist Onego Palace (Petrozavodsk, Republic of Karelia)|
|IV.||Finno-Ugric wikiseminar 2020||15—21 JANUARY 2020||Estonia||Misso|
I Seminar 2014Redigeeri
Thus, we would like to put our resources to some use. Therefore, we arranged a seminar on the cooperation of FU Wikipedias. Our preliminary plan was to have it in 2012 but we moved it to 22nd−24th of August 2014.
With the help of Wikimedia Foundation and Kindred Peoples Program of Estonia we provided some grants for travel to Estonia from Russia.
This seminar was intended to be not a very glamorous event, but a place to map our common problems and to coordinate further cooperation. We met in Tartu on the first day, on the premises of University of Tartu, and on the next day we proceeded to Vaskna, a nice and quiet place in Southern Estonia near Suur Munamägi where we had discussion in a less official climate.
II Seminar 2015Redigeeri
Second seminar took place in Meremäe parish on August 1−4, 2015.
IV Seminar 2020Redigeeri
4th seminar took place in Misso on January 15−21, 2020.
Problems and practicesRedigeeri
Amongst the possible themes there could be engaging people in small FU Wikipedias, covering controversial issues, article exchange, putting scarce funds to the best use, Wikipedia's special position in small cultures, etc. The most important thing is getting to participate as many small Wikipedian communities as possible.
It might also be fruitful to study the practices of currently only large international Wikipedian cooperation network Iberocoop. Although Iberocoop's members are connected by large languages Spanish and Portuguese, they also tend to some smaller Wikipedias in Latin American Indian languages which could have not dissimilar problems from our own.
Which FU wikis are there?Redigeeri
// Outdated info
There are 13 public FU wikis:
- Finnish http://fi.wikipedia.org − 414 000 articles
- Hungarian http://hu.wikipedia.org − 410 000 articles
- Estonian http://et.wikipedia.org − 157 000 articles
- Hill Mari http://mrj.wikipedia.org − 10 100 articles
- Meadow Mari http://mhr.wikipedia.org − 9 600 articles
- Northern Saami http://se.wikipedia.org − 7 300 articles
- Võro http://fiu-vro.wikipedia.org − 5 500 articles
- Vepsian http://vep.wikipedia.org − 5 500 articles
- Zyryan Komi http://kv.wikipedia.org − 5 200 articles
- Udmurt http://udm.wikipedia.org − 3 900 articles
- Permian Komi http://koi.wikipedia.org − 3 400 articles
- Erzyan Mordvin http://myv.wikipedia.org − 3 790 articles
- Mokshan Mordvin http://mdf.wikipedia.org − 1 160 articles
In incubator there are 17 languages:
- Karelian http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/krl/Pi%C3%A4lehyt − 2 300 articles
- Meänkieli (Tornionlaakso Finnish) http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/fit − 1 800 articles
- Livonian http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/liv/Kuodl%C4%93%E1%B8%91 − 800 articles
- Kven http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/fkv/Main_Page − 235 articles
- South Saami http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/sma/Aalkoebielie − 159 articles
- Livvi-Karelian https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/olo/Pi%C3%A4sivu − 128 articles
- Izhoran http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/izh/P%C3%A4%C3%A4lehti − 102 articles
- Nenets http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/yrk/Main_Page − 65 articles
- Kildin Saami http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/sjd/%D0%93%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%BD%D1%8D − 59 articles
- Inari Sami https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/smn/Ovdasijdo − 34 articles
- Votic ~ Votian https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/vot/P%C3%A4%C3%A4lehto − 23 articles
- Ter Saami http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/sjt/Glavne − 19 articles
- Nganasan http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nio/%C3%91anok%C3%A5j − 16 articles
- Lule Sami http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/smj/V%C3%A1ldosiidu − 8 articles
- Selkup http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/sel/Main_Page − 3 articles
- Mansi http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/mns/Main_Page − 2 articles
- Khanty http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/kca/Main_Page − 2 articles
We would be happy have each and every interested person on board. Please let us know of your interest on this article's talk page.